These lightened up banana walnut muffins are extremely moist and flavourful and contain less calories, sugar and fat than your typical muffin. I guarantee that this healthy treat won’t last too long in your household!
Muffins are a popular item in my house. I mean SUPER popular.
They generally disappear within one to two days of me making them.
If I left my dad and my fiancé Matt in the house together with a bunch of freshly baked muffins, I swear there would be a muffin war.
One day, I was at my Matt’s house rummaging through the freezer to find something to make for dinner, and I saw a six pack of these gigantic muffins.
These things were huge.
When I flipped over the package to check the nutritional value, they had 250 calories, 28 grams of sugar and 15 grams of fat.
I was not impressed with this nutritional breakdown.
These muffins were basically the equivalent of having a donut!
That’s when I started to strategize.
I knew that Matt probably wouldn’t want to part with his muffins, so I made him a deal. I agreed to start making him homemade healthier muffins if he would stop buying those gigantic mega muffins.
It didn’t require too much convincing. The poor guy was just looking for a simple snack to bring to work.
His favourite flavour just happens to be banana so the first muffins I whipped up for him were these banana walnut muffins.
The good news is that these muffins are wayyyy lower in calories, sugar, and fat than those other muffins he was eating and they also contain a decent amount of fibre and protein.
Plus, they’re super moist and flavourful with the addition of the Greek yogurt and banana.
Since the first ones were such a hit, I can hardly wait to experiment with some other muffin recipes. One thing that I know for sure is that I’ll always have lots of taste testers!
I’ll keep you guys posted on my muffin experiment!
More similar recipes
- Mini Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Flourless Carrot Cake Muffins
- Mini Almond Butter Muffin Bites
- Gluten-free Peach Vanilla Muffins
- Gluten-Free Apple Muffins
Did you make this recipe? Scroll down to leave a rating and review!
Banana Walnut Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add bananas, honey, vanilla, applesauce, egg, milk and yogurt to a blender. Blend on high for 1 minute or until well combined. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Evenly distribute batter in muffin tin and top with chopped walnuts. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Cool muffins for 5 minutes in the pan and then remove and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen
This post may contain affiliate links which means that I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only promote products that I love and feel will benefit my readers :)