These lean chicken meatballs are packed full of zucchini, quinoa and a whole lot of flavour! A healthy meal that the whole family will enjoy!
I can’t believe the week is halfway over!
Given the fact that it’s Wednesday (AKA almost the weekend!), I thought it would be fitting to talk about meatballs.
Meatballs are something that I love to make on weekends because they’re a bit more of a time consuming meal to prepare.
First you have to make the meatball mixture….then you have to roll the balls….bake em…make some form of sauce… and a side dish…and in my house, a side of vegetables or a big heap of salad.
You know the drill.
It takes time and energy to make those balls!
Not generally something I feel like doing on weekdays when I’m tired after work.
But at the same time, I totally don’t want to miss out on those meaty balls of goodness because they are just so freakin’ good.
So weekends are usually when I set aside some quality meatball-making time.
This recipe in particular is one of my favourites because it incorporates not only ground chicken, but also quinoa and zucchini.
Yeah, I know, right?!
All of those nutrients and fibre packed into those little balls of meat.
The zucchini is a great way to sneak in some veggies, while adding moisture to the meatballs.
And the quinoa works nicely as a replacement for bread crumbs, while adding a dose of fibre, protein and iron.
I especially love these meatballs served with my homemade chunky tomato sauce over a bed of spaghetti squash.
I’m seriously craving this meal right now.
- 1 lb extra lean ground chicken
- ¾ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ medium onion, chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup grated zucchini
- ¼ cup chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp salt (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups of your favourite tomato sauce or homemade tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Thoroughly coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, cooked quinoa, chopped onion, garlic, zucchini, parsley, red pepper flakes, oregano, salt, ground pepper and egg.
- Mix until evenly distributed. Using a 1 tablespoon portion of the chicken mixture, form meatballs by rolling between the palms of your hands. Place the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them apart evenly.
- Bake until the meatballs are firm to the touch and cooked through, approximately 20 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, heat the tomato sauce in a large saucepan set over medium heat.
- Transfer the meatballs to the tomato sauce and gently stir to coat the meatballs.
- Serve over spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles or whole-grain pasta!
Recipe adapted from: Cookin’ Canuck