Add almonds, cashews, lemon zest and coconut to a food processor. Pulse until nuts are finely chopped (but not a paste).
Add dates and pulse until dates are finely chopped and the mixture starts to clump together. If you find that the mixture is having trouble breaking down, add one tablespoon of water at a time until the mixture adheres together but isn't too sticky.
Line an 8x8 inch square pan with parchment paper. When all of the ingredients have been processed, wet your hands or use a moistened spatula and press the mixture as evenly as possible across the bottom of the pan. Freeze for at least 20 minutes before cutting into bars.
To slice: Use the excess parchment paper like a sling to transfer the firm bars from the pan to a large cutting board. Slice into 8 large bars or 16 smaller squares.
- Use moist pitted dates if possible. If you find the dates that you have on hand are too hard, you can soak them in boiling water for about 5-10 minutes to help soften them and make them easier to blend.
- Use roasted cashews. Raw will work too, but roasted brings out a nice flavour in the bars.
- Adjust consistency accordingly. If the lemon bar mixture seems too dry, add a tablespoon or so of water until it sticks together. If it seems too wet, add some additional nuts and coconut.
- When placing the bar mixture in the 8×8 dish, wet your hands to help prevent your hands from sticking to the mixture when pressing into the pan. You can also dampen a spatula and use that to press down on the mixture. To help smooth out the bars even further, fold the excess parchment over the bars to cover them and use something flat and heavy to press down firmly on the mixture until it is smooth.
- To slice: It's best to cut the bars when they're still partially frozen. Use the excess parchment paper like a sling to transfer the firm bars from the pan to a large cutting board. Slice into 8 large bars or 16 smaller squares.
Calories: 116kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 168mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg