Preheat oven to 400° F. Place bell peppers cut side up in a 9x13 inch baking dish or on a large baking sheet and drizzle all over with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about one more minute.
Next, add shredded chicken and hot sauce and toss until combined. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then remove from heat.
Divide chicken mixture between pepper halves and top with shredded cheese. Cover with foil sprayed with cooking spray (so that it doesn't stick) and bake until peppers are tender crisp, about 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Garnish each stuffed pepper half with a sprinkle of green onion and blue cheese, if desired. Serve warm.
- Make up a batch of the shredded chicken in advance or use a rotisserie chicken for a super fast meal!
- I used Frank's buffalo wing sauce, but if you can't find it, you can sub in your favourite hot sauce
- Use freshly grated cheese rather than pre-shredded cheese. Pre-shredded cheese contains preservatives like potato starch and natamycin, which are added to help prevent the shreds from clumping together in the bag. That also means they don’t melt together as well when cooking. Freshly grated cheese, on the other hand, lacks those additives so for gooey melted cheese, opt for freshly grated.
- When cooking the stuffed peppers in the oven, you can add about 1/2 cup water (or broth) to the baking dish and cover the dish with foil. The water will create steam which will help to soften the peppers and can also keep the stuffed peppers and filling from drying out.
- Nutritional information is based on two stuffed pepper halves.
Calories: 372kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 101mg | Sodium: 843mg | Potassium: 562mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3958IU | Vitamin C: 155mg | Calcium: 173mg | Iron: 2mg