Place all ingredients in the slow cooker. Break up the meat with a spoon and stir to combine with the rest of the ingredients.
Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours. Serve warm on flour tortillas, on a salad, in burritos or on sweet or baked potatoes.
- Use extra lean ground beef to cut down on saturated fat content and to prevent too much of the fat from being released into the sauce when cooking.
- If preferred, you can cook up the onion, beef and garlic before adding it to the crockpot with the rest of the sauce ingredients (or use the saute function on your slow cooker if it has one) as it will incorporate more flavour and texture into the sauce. When I need to pull this recipe together quickly, I generally just throw all of the ingredients into the slow cooker raw and find it cooks up great. Plus, it's so easy! But it's totally a personal preference whether you choose to cook up the meat and onions first.
- If adding the raw meat to the crockpot, be sure to break it up with a spoon once it starts cooking to allow the meat to cook evenly and be fully immersed in the sauce.
- To make this recipe go even further and to add some extra texture, you can add a can of black beans and some corn kernels to the mix as well.
- You can use a slotted spoon to serve the taco meat if you don't want as much sauce on your tacos.
Calories: 248kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 553mg | Potassium: 863mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 567IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 5mg