- 1 cup packed fresh basil
- 1 cup packed fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup cashews roasted and unsalted
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Add the basil, baby spinach, cashews and garlic to a food processor and pulse several times to help break it down.
Turn the food processor down to low speed and while it's running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and process until mostly smooth. Some smaller pieces can still be present.
Season with salt and pepper. You may wish to add more or less depending on your personal taste preference. Transfer pesto to a small bowl, jar or container.
- When storing pesto in the fridge, drizzle a little extra olive oil on top to keep the herbs nice and fresh.
- You can freeze pesto in an ice cube tray for individual portions. Simply pop out as many cubes as you need, place them in a bowl and allow them to thaw in the fridge.
- If mixing the pesto in with pasta, add a bit of the pasta water to the pesto to thin it out.
- This recipe makes one cup of pesto and it's easily doubled.
- Nutritional facts are calculated for about 1 tablespoon of pesto.
Calories: 84kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 75mg | Potassium: 44mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 255IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg