Soak dates in boiling water for about 5 minutes to soften.
In a food processor, blend the oats, sunflower seeds and cinnamon until finely ground.
Next, add the soaked dates and blend until incorporated and sticky enough to roll into balls.
Fold in the diced apple, making sure that it's evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
Roll mixture into approximately one-inch balls. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
- If the dates are too hard to blend, soak them in boiling water for five minutes to soften them and make them easier to blend.
- If the energy ball mixture is too wet, add extra oats to the mixture. If it's too dry add a bit of water one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- To prevent the apples from browning, I recommend going for a variety of apple that doesn't tend to brown quite as easily such as Gala or Cortland. I've always had a good experience when incorporating those into these bites.
- If you are concerned about the apple browning, you can always spritz the chopped apple with a bit of lemon juice before combining them in with the rest of the mixture. That should do the trick!
- Chop the apple into small chunks about 1/4 of an inch. We don't want overly large chunks of apple as they will overtake the energy ball. Instead, we want small chunks of apple distributed in each bite.
Calories: 66kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 83mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 16IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg