This healthy meal is packed full of delicious scallops and a tasty mint pistachio pesto and served on a heap of zucchini noodles. It’s super easy to make, but tastes like it took hours to prepare! A definite family favourite!
Lately, I’ve been obsessed with my Paderno Spiralizer. It is seriously the best thing EVER! Since I purchased it, I’ve literally tried spiralizing everything from sweet potatoes to cucumbers and each dish has turned out equally amazing!
Now I’m honestly not usually much into kitchen gadgets because I don’t have the patience to figure out how to assemble and use them. I’m just not good with that stuff at all!
But this spiralizer is so straight forward and easy to use…it’s pretty much a no brainer! One thing I was concerned about when I first purchased it was how easy it would be to clean, but it turns out that if you give it a good rinse right away, it’s super easy to clean. Plus, coming up with new recipes and creative ways to use it is so much fun that washing one extra gadget is worth it.
My latest creation with my spiralizer is this scallop and pistachio mint pesto over a bed of zucchini noodles. It’s seriously tastes like a fancy restaurant meal!
The pistachio and mint combination is SO refreshing and flavourful and with the heaping mound of spiralized zucchini, you don’t even miss the regular pasta! Replacing the pasta with zucchini noodles also significantly reduces the carbohydrate content, which makes for a much lighter recipe.
But don’t worry, it’s still super filling and packed full of fibre!
Generally, scallops are something that we don’t eat a lot of, but I absolutely love them! It’s almost like a special treat.
When I tossed some scallops together with this minty pistachio pesto, I instantly knew this combo was meant to be.
This meal is easy enough to make on a week night, but tasty enough to feel like you went all out. It’s also packed with protein and healthy fats, and lower in carbohydrates. By subbing in the zucchini for regular noodles, it’s the perfect way to ensure that you’re getting in at least two servings of vegetables at meal time. This has definitely become a favourite in our house!
- 1lb scallops
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 red pepper, diced
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 4 medium zucchini, spiralized
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- ⅓ cup shelled pistachios
- One handful of mint leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- Place the scallops in a shallow dish and sprinkle with the olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cover and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the pesto, put the nuts, mint, garlic, and scallions in a mini food processor or blender and blend coarsely. Add the oil and puree until fairly smooth and bright green. Stir in the vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside while you prepare the scallops, or store in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- In a large frying pan, over medium heat, cook the zucchini noodles for about 2-3 minutes, tossing occasionally until heated through. Set aside in a bowl. Next, in the same frying pan, sauté red pepper for 1-2 minutes, add the scallop and oil mixture and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the scallops are cooked through. Do not overcook the scallops or they will be tough. Add the zucchini noodles back to the pan and toss with half the pesto until well combined. Store the remaining pesto in the fridge for later use.
- Evenly distribute the zucchini noodles and scallop mixture on each plate. Sprinkle each serving with lemon juice.
Servings: 4• Calories: 433 • Fat: 33 g • Carbohydrates: 12 g • Fibre: 3g • Protein: 23g • Sugar: 4g • Sodium: 196 mg • Cholesterol: 37mg