This citrus-infused cranberry sauce is a healthier way to add flavour to your turkey and fixings. With its ruby red hue, it makes a festive addition to your holiday meal!
Several weeks ago, I posted a festive recipe for cranberry meatballs, and out of that recipe came yet another recipe.
Don’t you just love when that happens? You get two recipes for the price of one? ;)
That recipe just so happened to be a citrus-infused cranberry sauce.
I’ve never really been one to have cranberry sauce during the holidays, mostly because it’s generally way too sweet for my liking.
Now don’t get me wrong, I’m all for a little holiday indulgence, but if I’m going to have something that’s loaded with sugar, I’d rather just have a piece of cake or my mom’s famous trifle.
That’s the honest truth.
But when I made my cranberry meatballs, I did a little taste test of the cranberry sauce sans meatballs and it was actually delicious!
It was the first time I had ever made cranberry sauce from scratch and it made me wonder why I’d never tried making it before.
Oh well, there’s always a first for everything, right?
Here are some reasons to love this Citrus-infused cranberry sauce:
What’s amazing about this citrus-infused cranberry sauce is that you can control the sugar content, unlike the store-bought variety.
I like my cranberry sauce a little more on the tart side, but you could always adjust the sweetness-tartness meter according to your liking.
Cranberries are also a good source of vitamin C and fibre. They are packed with flavonoids and phytonutrients, which have antioxidant and antimicrobial benefits. Additionally, they have also been shown to help improve overall heart health due to their cholesterol lowering properties.
That’s reason enough to incorporate some cranberries into your day!
Throw in some freshly squeezed orange juice and you’ve got even more immune-boosting vitamin C.
Now all you need is some protein-rich turkey to pair it with! I recommend this cranberry and pistachio stuffed turkey breast if you’re really feeling the cranberries!
Citrus-Infused Cranberry Sauce
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup honey or to taste
- 1.5 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 tsp. orange zest
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper (or to taste)
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together orange juice and honey until the honey dissolves.
- Add cranberries and cook for about 10 minutes, until the berries start to pop, then reduce heat, cooking for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mash the cranberries with the back of a wooden spoon to achieve a jam-like consistency and add ¼ cup of water if you like a thinner sauce.
- Remove cranberry sauce from heat and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Love this recipe? Pin for later!
This post may contain affiliate links which means that I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only promote products that I love and feel will benefit my readers :)